Delicious, dairy free, strawberry Risotto
In 2012, I visited Lake Garda, Italy with my family. One evening, we dined at a beautiful lakeside restaurant, serving all the local specialties. As I spent the week eating pasta’s and pizza’s, I decided I would try something different, and ordered what turned out to be a beautiful prawn and strawberry risotto.
I decided to try and recreate a healthier option, and I am pleased to share with you that I managed to cook a tasty vegan risotto recipe. Being a dairy free risotto, this dish is low in fat and is a great comfort food. Although this recipe looks and sounds like a dessert, it is very much a savory dish, and is relatively simple to cook.
- 3 cups of vegetable stock
- 2 cups of risotto rice
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 1/2 white onion (or 1 small)
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup of chopped strawberries
- Keep the best looking strawberry for presentation!
- Chop onion and garlic before adding to pan with 1 tablespoon of coconut oil. Saute until the onion is transparent.
- Add the risotto and continue to stir until the rice is no longer clear and some grains have started to turn golden.
- Add 1 cup of stock and continue to stir until the risotto has soaked it all up
- Once evaporated, add the second cup of stock and repeat as above
- Add the almond milk and continue to stir until like the stock, it has been soaked up by the rice
- Add the chopped strawberries and balsamic
- Continue to stir and serve when there is no liquid left in the pan, garnished with you favorite strawberry
Had you heard of this dish before? Let me know! I am off now to enjoy mine 🙂