Pineapple, Cashew & Raisin Quinoa Curry
Thursday…the weekend is in sight! I have enjoyed my long weekend here in Abu Dhabi so far, it has been nice and relaxing however I have been pretty productive in terms of cooking and blogging. I have had a lot of time to brain storm and experiment in the kitchen which I have really enjoyed, along with spending my afternoon yesterday lazing in the sun.
This morning I cooked another vegan dish, this time a pineapple and cashew quinoa curry, which is de-e-elish! 🙂 Don’t let the image freak you out, it’s really easy to make with or with out the pineapple boat. I absolutely love curry dishes, but 99.9% of the time a take out is FULL of fats, this is a clean and healthy vegan curry recipe which leaves you stuffed and feeling great.
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 half pineapple if making the pineapple boat OR 1.5 cups of chopped pineapple pieces
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup of cashew nuts
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 1 cup of rasins
- 2 heaped tbsp of curry powder
- Seasoning (I used black pepper and dried chili)
- Ok, I have 2 methods here. The first for those wanting to serve your quinoa curry in the pineapple like my picture, the rest of the recipe is the same after this step.
- For the pineapple boat;
- Cut the pineapple in half, long wise. The stalk can be a bit tricky.
- Once halved, choose your preferred side for serving
- Using a small knife, carve around in the edge of the inside of the pineapple and remove the middle
- If this is proving difficult, cut the pineapple flesh a few times both ways, and fork out the pineapple cubes individually
- Once emptied, chop your pineapple flesh into small pieces
- Cooking Method;
- In a pan, add the cup of quinoa and 2 cups of water, bring to a boil then reduce to simmer for 10 – 15 minutes (until all the water has been soaked up)
- When your quinoa is nearly ready, in a large pot/pan, saute the garlic and onion in the coconut oil for a few minutes
- Once the onions have started to turn golden, add your chopped pineapple pieces and continue to cook for 5 minutes
- When your quinoa is ready, drain if required, before adding to the pineapple, garlic and onion
- Add the curry powder and the raisins with 2/3 cup of cashews
- Continue to stir over the heat for a few minutes, ensuring all the flavors have been mixed
- Remove your quinoa curry from the heat and scoop into the pineapple boat or onto a plate
- Sprinkle the remaining cashew nuts over the dish and serve!
Easy, low in fat and bursting with flavor, why don’t you try this vegan pineapple quinoa curry?