Delicious, Dairy Free, Creamed Corn
I love sweetcorn! Seriously, I could sit and eat it out a tin (I sometimes do). Especially corn on the cob, it just so delish.
A few months ago I was out for dinner and I noticed ‘creamed corn’ was being served as I side so I decided to order it (obviously). It was so-o-o good, I could have just had a large bowl of it as a main, but if I had done this I would have been eating a lot of dairy. The majority of creamed corn recipes are full of exactly that, cream, and milk and sometimes even cheese. I decided to try and come up with my own healthy creamed corn, minus the dairy.
Last night I bought a huge pack of frozen corn, and tried out a few different recipes… talk about a rock and roll Tuesday night! Anyway, after a lot of experiment and corn tasting, I finally came up with a tasty, dairy free creamed corn recipe.
- ½ small white onion
- 1 glove of garlic
- 1 1/2 cups of sweetcorn (canned or frozen)
- ½ cup of almond milk
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1.5 tbsp of flour
- If your sweetcorn is frozen, let it defrost or cook then drain
- Chop the onion and the garlic into tiny pieces and sauté in ½ tbsp of coconut oil until the onion has started to turn transparent
- Add the almond milk, corn, remaining coconut oil and flour and keep on a low heat
- Stir over a low heat for around 5 minutes, adding extra almond milk or flour if necessary/to preference
- Using a potato masher, mash your corn if desired (I mashed half of it)
- Once heated all the way through, and the corn is cooked, serve immediately
Don’t take your eyes of the corn! The flour in this recipe can cause the corn mix to stick and burn quite quickly, so keep stirring. This Vegan, Creamed Corn recipe made me two side size portions.
So easy to make and low in both fat and calories, why not spice this up a bit and serve it with fajitas?