My Delicious, Dairy Free, Asparagus Risotto
I love risotto! Ever since I made my first risotto dish, I can’t get enough of the stuff. Last night I had friends over for dinner, and needed a quick and healthy, but impressive dish to serve which gave me a great reason to create a new healthy, risotto dish. I decided to try and make another vegan risotto, using lemon, asparagus and peas which turned out to be delicious. This recipe is low in fat, dairy free and full of flavor, more importantly it is very easy to make.
- 2 cups of risotto rice
- 3 cups of vegetable stock ( I used two small cubes)
- 1 cup of almond milk
- 2 cloves of chopped garlic
- 1 white onion
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups of chopped asparagus (1 large bunch)
- 1 cup of peas (frozen or cooked)
- If you have bought frozen peas, boil them until cooked and set aside
- Squeeze the juice from each lemon into a bowl, grate the left over lemon until you have 2 tablespoons of lemon rind
- Wash the asparagus before cutting the woody ends off. Continue to cut of the sears then chop the rest of the stalks into small pieces
- In a pan add the chopped onion and garlic in the coconut oil. Sauté until the onion is transparent.
- Add the risotto rice and continue to stir until the rice is no longer clear and some grains have started to turn golden
- Add 1 cup of stock and continue to stir until the risotto has soaked it all up
- Once evaporated, add the second and third cup of stock and repeat as above
- Once the stock has been soaked up by the risotto, add the lemon juice, lemon rind, asparagus and the peas
- Add the almond milk and continue to stir until like the stock, it has been soaked up by the rice
- Continue to stir well and serve when there is no liquid left in the pan and the asparagus has heated up well, season with pepper or other herbs as desired
Why don’t you serve a risotto dish the next time you are cooking for guests?