My Healthy, Dairy Free, Carrot & Walnut Muffins
A few weeks ago I baked Vegan Blueberry and Raspberry Muffins to enjoy when my afternoon ‘sweet snack’ cravings kicked in. I really enjoyed them and wanted to try and create another guilt free, vegan muffin recipe. This morning I decided to make healthy, low fat carrot muffins which are as equally tasty and easy to make.
Carrots are the perfect ingredient for a healthy muffin recipe. They full of fibre and therefore keep you feeling fuller for longer and less likely to binge unnecessarily. Carrots are also packed with a number of vitamins and anti-oxidants, so not only are these muffins lower in fat and delicious, they are good for you too! I have also included the superfood Walnuts, which contain a number neuroprotective compounds, which stimulate your brain and increase productivity.
- 2 cups of whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 heaped tbsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tbsp of honey or agave/maple syrup for Vegan
- 1 1/2 cups of grated carrot
- 1/3 cup of crushed/chopped walnuts
- 8 muffin cases OR muffin tin with parchment paper
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees
- In a mixing bowl, sift the flour, baking powder and soda and ground cinnamon (dry ingredients)
- Add the almond milk, coconut oil, honey or agave and fold until the mixture is no longer dry
- Add the grated carrots and walnuts to the bowl. Mix thoroughly
- If you don’t have muffin cases, line each muffin cup with parchment paper and spoon the mixture in
- Alternatively, spoon your mixture into each muffin case
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes until the muffins start to turn a nice golden brown
This recipe makes 8 muffins, which will last for up to a week in the refrigerator and can be frozen. Whole wheat flour is higher in both protein and iron than regular flour, making this vegan muffin the perfect post/pre workout snack.
This recipe proves that you don’t have to use animal ingredients to make tasty snacks. Why don’t you try these low fat, dairy muffins for when your craving something sweet?