The best bedtime drink.
Another change I have made recently, is broken my daily evening ritual of a hot chocolate before bed. I still do have the odd treat, but when I do, I make a healthy alternatively which I will tell you about soon.
As much as I loved the taste of a sugar loaded hot chocolate covered in even more sugar loaded marshmallows, it’s not something you should be drinking every night. There is a common misconception that a hot chocolate will send you off to the land of nod. Although the warm drink may make you feel full and drowsy, the high refined sugar content will actually give you a disturbed sleep.
Whenever I’m getting ready for bed and I fancy something sweet to finished my day with and give me that warm, sleepy feeling, I have started drinking warm almond milk with some spices and I cant believe I am saying this, but I prefer it to a hot chocolate!
- Almond milk (unsweetened), enough to fill your favorite bedtime mug
- 1/2 tsp of your preferred spice, I like to use cinnamon or nutmeg and vanilla
- 1/2 tsp agave syrup (optional)
- Heat the almond milk in a pan until very warm, add in your spice while stirring repeatably without bringing to the boil
- Pour into your mug and add agave if desired, and a sprinkle of your favorite spice
- Enjoy warm in bed with a book and unwind
I am off to enjoy my warm almond milk. Why don’t you make one too?