*Diets for 1 day*
‘Did I get skinny yet?’
Hi hi! & Happy New Year!
First blog post of 2017 – I know it’s a little late but I have had the busiest start to the year! I have really spent some time figuring out my goals & what I want to achieve in 2017, as well as planning my latest project ‘Ration The Fashion’ (first vlog coming soon!) & a couple of trips!
Anyway, one of my immediate goals is to try & shift some of the usual ‘I’ve-eaten-way-too-much-in-December’ weight. & so far I have lost around 3kg’s (yay!) & the best part is, there has been absolutely no starving myself of stupid diets/detoxes.
It’s safe to say I have tried a lot of these fads over the years like clean eating, starvation, limiting my calories, shakes/meal replacement, fat burning capsules & I am sick of them. As soon as you start eating normally again you just pile the weight back on, they just don’t work long-term. You have to enjoy life & one of the best things in life is FOOD. The only nonsense I haven’t tried is this magic tea, you know the one where you lose a shed load of pounds when you have a few cups a day? Yeah – they are full of natural laxatives & I am way too busy to spend stupid amounts of my precious time in the bathroom – gross. (Oh & the skinny celebs don’t use them either, they are paid to promote them FYI.)
I get a few questions from you guys about vegan weight loss or things like ‘omg I gained so much weight since I went vegan’. Here’s the thing, if you eat too much processed vegan foods like fake meats or vegan treats & cakes of course you’re going to get fat! Now I am all for these kinda foods, but like meat-eating diets & vegetarian diets – if you eat too much of the bad stuff while living a vegan lifestyle, your gunna put on weight.
So, here are some of my tips/fav vegan foods & meal ideas that are low in fat, healthy & delicious. The stuff below is what you’ll find me eating during the week, especially when I am trying to shift a few pounds or maintain my weight.
• 1 handful of mixed nuts, 1 handful of mixed berries & 1 soya yoghurt
• Vegan oatmeal
• Scrambled tofu
• 1 wholemeal bagel OR 1 large slice of wholemeal toast with ½ can of baked beans
• Avocado Toast
• Overnight Oats
• Sweet Potato Toast
• Acai Bowl
• Chia Breakfast Pudding
• 1 slice of whole-wheat toast with 1 banana
• Couscous with seasoning & sautéed veg
• Cauliflower rice with seasoning & again sautéed veg
• Warm salads – Roast/Saute any veggies you like (cauliflower, peppers, carrots, mushrooms) then serve with sautéed spinach & a drizzle of coconut oil with seasoning for dressing – try this warm cauliflower & spinach salad
• Soup – EVERY TIME. In a large pan, sauté some garlic & onions then your veggies of choice (leeks, carrots, potatoes – anything goes) – add some stock/seasoning then chuck in some lentils/yellow split peas& simmer for around ½ an hour. My fav for weight loss is this skinny lentil soup!
• Vegan Stir Fry – Some low-fat noodles, your fav veggies to sauté & a vegan sauce (or just a drizzle of vegan friendly soy sauce)
• Wraps – I usually add some lettuce/spinach/kale (some kind of raw leaf) with some beans/chick peas of roasted veggies. Try mashed avocado or humus for a spread & check out this recipe for a lemon, chickpea & avocado wrap
• Lentil spaghetti – if you are really seriously about losing the weight ditch the pasta for zoodles
• Vegan chili – enjoy it on its own, with couscous or with cauliflower rice
• Lentil Shepherd’s pie – Make a huge pie & take some into work for lunch (you can freeze this too!)
• ½ portion of any of the lunch options above
• 2 slices of wholemeal toast (if I haven’t had toast/bagel for breakfast)
• Cup of homemade soup with veggie sticks
Here are some healthy food switches that I do when trying to lose weight or just eat healthier in general. Cutting out processed foods can make a huge difference – although I definitely don’t agree with depriving yourself.
|Healthy Vegan Food Swap For Weight Loss|
|Swap This||For This|
|Vegan Ice Cream||Banana Nice Cream|
|Vegan Hot Chocolate||Warm almond/pistachio milk|
|Fake Meats||Roasted Veggies|
|White Bread||Wholemeal Bread (same applies for wraps & bagels)|
|Soya Milk||Almond Milk|
|Vegan Mayo||Hummus/mashed avocado|
|Vegan Butter||Coconut oil (yes even on toast!)|
|Vegetable Oil||Coconut/avocado oil @foxesandfood|
Don’t forget – we are all different; some people can drop pounds overnight, some people need to work a little harder. By sticking to these foods, I have managed to shift a few KG’s with no hunger & I still have the energy to work out. At the moment I am hitting the gym 5 days a week, even if it is just for 20 minutes on the bike or treadmill. As someone who was naturally slim for years then all of a sudden had to work like a b*tch to stay in shape now (I blame it on the expat lifestyle lol), I have learned that striving for progress not perfection makes a huge difference both on the inside & out. & I also don’t believe in ‘cheat days’. I hate the term, it feels very negative to me – like your cheating or breaking the rules to enjoy a take out!?
I do, however, believe in moderation. If I have been healthy through out the week I will 100% order a take out at the weekend & enjoy every last grain of vegetable fried rice or slice of vegan pizza. Pretty much all of the ingredients in the recipes I have shared are high in nutrition, so not only is this a delicious way to try & aid weight loss, it’s a healthy way to do it too. What’s your fav low fat, vegan recipe? Tell me! Happy skinny Sunday – Jess xx
P.S – I made vegan rice krispie treats yesterday & will share the recipe soon! Just in time for your ‘moderation’ day 😉