Hot & Healthy Low Fat Curried Lentil Stuffed Peppers
Happy Monday from Abu Dhabi, I hope you have all had a nice weekend. I spent most of my long weekend tanning and eating! Right now I am writing this blog post from my bed while trying to keep an eye out for the red supermoon lunar eclipse, it’s quite hazy here so I have only had a glimpse 🙁
I wanted to share last night’s dinner with you, my Vegan Curried Lentil Stuffed Peppers. It is extremely easy to make and more importantly low in fat and super healthy.
Admittedly, lentils aren’t an ingredient I have used a lot but as I am trying to eat a more plant based diet, I seem to be reading a lot about this tiny seed and their nutritional value. I have discovered that they are a fantastic source of both protein and iron, making them a great ingredient for vegetarians and vegans. This dish was so tasty, I think meat eaters would love it too! It’s not just the lentils that make this dish healthy, bell peppers are known as one of the worlds healthiest foods. They are jam packed with vitamins including vitamins A, C, E, B2 & B6.
- 1 cup of lentils
- 2 gloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 white onion, chopped
- 2 large peppers (or 3 small)
- 1/2 cup of strained/chopped tomatoes from a carton (Don’t use tins they are bad for you)
- 1 1/2 tbsp of curry powder
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 degrees
- In a pan, add 2 cups of boiling water with your lentils and bring to the boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat and leave to simmer for 30 minutes (until lentils are soft/ready)
- Prepare the peppers by cutting off the tops (lids) and cutting out the seeds from inside the peppers
- Place both the peppers and the lids in the oven upright and roast for 20 minutes
- Just before your lentils are ready In a large pan/pot, saute the garlic and the chopped onion until the onion is transparent and soft
- Strain the lentils when ready and add to the onions and garlic
- Add the tomatoes and the curry powder and stir well to ensure the curry powder is mixed well
- One by one, scoop your curried lentils into the roasted peppers and return to the oven at 190 degrees for 5 – 10 minutes
- Serve and enjoy!
This is great dish for those who are trying to lose or maintain their weight. 1 cup of boiled lentils only contains a tiny 0.8g of fat! When I read this I wondered why I had only discovered them now!
Whether you are meat eater, vegetarian or vegan I can guarantee you will love this meal! Be sure to let me know if you try it!