Easy Vegan Tofu-Peanuty-Veggie Skewers
Hi hi! I haven’t posted in a long long time!
I have been soo busy, I have had friends over, course work and a lot of brunches. But, more importantly at the end of March I went on a once in a life time trip to Chiang Mai, Thailand.
In January I decided that at some point this year I wanted to do an animal related volunteering trip. This is something that I have wanted to do for a long time, but life always seemed to get in the way. This year, however, I was determined to finally go on a trip myself.
So on the 20th of March I flew to Thailand with nothing but a back pack and spent a week volunteering at Elephant Nature park. It really was an experience of a life time. A lot of hard work, but this came with the most rewarding feeling ever. I met a lot of amazing people too, from all over the world. Learning about the elephants and getting so close to these beautiful animals really was a dream come true for me. I also spent some free time helping out at a dog shelter, which housed 300+ lovely pooches… heaven!
There were so many aspects to this trip that made it amazing, one of which was the food. We were served 3 buffet meals a day, everything was delicious. More importantly, EVERYTHING WAS VEGAN!!! The amount of vegan options was incredible and really did leave me with some tasty ideas and inspiration for my kitchen.
On our last night we had a BBQ. One of the dishes was a tofu and veggie skewer with peanut sauce and I just had to try it when I got back. I was starting to love tofu when I left, and now I have fallen head over heels after seeing just how versatile it can be.
- 1 large pack of extra firm tofu
- 1 yellow pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 pack of mushrooms
- 1 red onion
- 2 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. of lemon juice
- ½ can of coconut milk
- 2 tbsp. of crunchy peanut butter
- 2 tbsp. chopped spring onion
- 1 glove of garlic (minced)
- 1 tbsp. of chopped coriander
- Black pepper
- Pre-heat the grill to 190 degrees
- Drain the tofu and slice into cubes which will fit your skewers
- Chop both peppers, mushrooms and red onion also into skewer sized pieces
- Combine the tofu and the veg into a mixing bowl
- Add 1 tbsp. of coconut oil and 1 tbsp. of lemon juice to the bowl and mix with your hands
- Once all the tofu and veg has been covered, add them to your skewers
- Put the skewers under the grill for 15 minutes, turning half way
- To create the sauce, in a pan saute the minced garlic in a tbsp. of coconut oil until it has started to brown
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir over a low heat until the sauce is smooth
- Serve the sauce warm when the skewers are ready - enjoy!
I would encourage every animal lover to take a trip to Elephant Nature Park, it really is a once in a life time experience. More details about their volunteering opportunities can be found on the website by clicking here. Let me know if you have any questions!
I will leave you with some elephant and doggie pictures – happy Thursday! Jess x