Veggie Quorn Chilli
After discovering my new found love quinoa, I wanted to try and create a few more of my favorite dishes with it. Quinoa is a great low fat rice or pasta substitute, so I thought that a quinoa, Quorn chilli would be a fantastic recipe to try. With both Quorn and quinoa being very easy to cook, this is a recipe that anyone can make.
- 1 pack of Quorn mince
- 1 white onion
- 2 gloves of garlic
- 1 cup of quinoa
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil
- 400g tinned tomatoes
- 1 can cooked kidney beans
- 1/2 cup of sweetcorn
- 1/2 cup of chopped mushrooms
- Extra chilli (flakes or chopped, depending on how spicy you like your food)
- Dried Italian herbs or basil to season
- Cheese! I used Vegan chilli cheese.
- In a pan, add the quinoa and 2 cups of water. Bring to the boil and then simmer for 20 minutes or so, until all the water has been soaked up. Leave to the side.
- In a separate pan, saute the garlic, onion and mushrooms in the coconut oil until the onion begins to brown
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, kidney beans, sweetcorn and Quorn mince. Allow 10 – 15 minutes until the Quorn is cooked through
- Stir in the cooked quinoa and season with chilli, pepper and herbs to taste
- Serve when hot with your choice of cheese
An easy, delicious, meat free chili. High in protein and low in fat content, this is the perfect low fat chilli alternative. Kidney beans are packed with iron and anti-oxidants too, giving you not only a meal which is tasty, but also nutritious.
Have you used quinoa in a chilli before? Why don’t you try it next time for a low fat alternative!