Delicious, Vegan Lentil Spaghetti
At the weekend I had a dilemma. Well, when I say dilemma I am exaggerating, I was just being extremely lazy. I am sure it is a dilemma everyone has faced, you’re starving but have no food in the house and the thought of leaving your bed/comfies to go and buy something is exhausting. This was me on Friday.
So I had a rake around my fridge and cupboards in desperation and was pleasantly surprised that I found a handful of ingredients which could make a delicious meal. I cooked a vegan lentil spaghetti and it was so tasty! It only took around 20 minutes to cook.
Lentils are a super ingredient for vegans and vegetarians, you can do so much with them, I really should use them more often. I made vegan curried lentil stuffed peppers not long ago which were fab.
- Whole wheat spaghetti (to serve 1)
- 1/3 cup of uncooked brown lentils
- 1 glove of garlic
- ½ white onion
- 1/2 cup chopped mushrooms
- ½ cup of strained tomatoes (carton)
- Dried basil and black pepper to season
- In a pot, bring the lentils to a boil and leave on a high simmer for 25 minutes
- Boil the spaghetti until cooked, around 10 – 12 minutes
- Peel and chop the onion, garlic and mushrooms, and sauté in the coconut oil in a separate pan until the onions have started to turn transparent, remove from the heat
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain them and return to the pot
- Add the mushrooms, onions and garlic and bring to the heat again and stir in the strained tomatoes
- Season with black pepper and dried herbs
- Drain the cooked spaghetti and serve immediately with your lentils
Lentils are packed with protein, so this is a great post work out dinner. A lot of people eat meat to get their protein, forgetting that animals get theirs from the grass! Planted based ingredients are the low-fat, cruelty free option 🙂
Next time you can’t find the energy to leave the house and buy food, why not see what you can make with random ingredients you have, you might surprise yourself! Happy Monday – Jess x