4 Ingredient Vegan Tofu Mushroom Rice
My love for tofu continues to grow and I wanted to share with you a really easy tofu recipe which is perfect for lunch or a small dinner. Tofu is a fab source of protein and is very low in calories. It is also a great way to get calcium and iron into your system too and can be enjoyed by both vegans and meat eaters alike 🙂
- Handful of mushrooms
- Tofu for one person (I used 125g)
- 1 tbsp. of chopped spring onion
- 1/3 cup of rice
- 2 tbsp. of coconut oil
- Remove the tofu from the pack and drain by placing a kitchen towel/roll underneath and on top. Rest an item of relatively heavy weight on top and leave for around 30 minutes (I use a plate). You should see the excess liquid on both kitchen rolls.
- Bring the rice to boil, then turn to the lowest heat and leave for around 20 minutes until cooked to your liking.
- Once the tofu has drained, cut into cubes and sauté in ½ tbsp. of coconut oil on a medium heat until all sides are browned.
- In a separate pan, sauté the mushrooms and ½ of your chopped spring onion using the remaining coconut oil. Remove from the heat once the mushrooms have started to brown and are cooked through.
- Drain the rice and transfer to your serving bowl with the mushrooms, sautéed spring onion and tofu.
- Garnish the rice with the remaining spring onion and enjoy.
Quick, nutritious, delicious and cruelty free – what more could you want in a rice dish? Have a superb Sunday – Jess x