Wholesome Rocket & Pine Nut Pesto
Happy 1st of December! You can officially be excited about Christmas, I can’t believe how fast this year has gone by.
Oily or creamy, I love pesto. I also love pasta, a lot. I picked up a small pesto pasta box from a salad bar the other day and decided then to come up with my own creamy, dairy free pesto. Usually made with basil, I decided to go for rocket instead to try something a little different. (Adventurous, I know).
I have really been trying to stay away from tinned and jarred sauces. Although there are some great organic brands available, a lot of the time the ingredients are questionable and although some may read as ‘low fat’, it doesn’t necessarily mean it is any good for you either.
As opposed to olive oil and I have used coconut oil and more importantly almond milk instead of cow’s milk or cream, giving you a healthy, low fat pesto. You can use any pasta with this pesto, I cooked some whole-wheat spaghetti. Whole-wheat pasta is lower in fat and higher in nutrients than normal pasta. The fibre content is higher too, which will keep you fuller for longer making this easy pesto pasta recipe great for weight loss or a diet. It literally took 10 minutes to make and only a handful of ingredients. It is easy to make too, you toast the almonds and garlic, the combine them with the rest of the ingredients in a food processor – I use my nutribullet and it works great.
- ½ cup of pine nuts
- 3 tbsp. of coconut oil
- 2 cups of rocket
- 1 tsp. of agave syrup
- ¼ cup of almond milk
- whole wheat spaghetti (for 2 people)
- 2 gloves of garlic
- In a pan, boil the spaghetti for 10 minutes
- Once cooked, drain and return to the pan (off heat)
- Peel and mince or chop the garlic into tiny pieces
- In a pan, sauté the garlic in 1 tbsp. of coconut oil for 30 seconds before adding the pine nuts
- Continue to toast the pine nuts with the garlic for around 3 minutes, remove from the heat when the start to brown
- Combine the pine nuts (leave out a handful) and the garlic in the food processor with the remaining ingredients and blitz until you have a creamy pesto
- Taste and add more agave syrup if it is too tangy
- Pour the pesto sauce over your cooked spaghetti and return to the heat, stir until hot and serve with the remaining pine nuts on top
This is a tasty and effortless rocket pesto sauce that everyone will enjoy – promise. Great for if you are in a rush and low cal/high nutrition. Why don’t you try it next time you are craving a bowl of pesto pasta? Today is my last day in the office for 4 days as the UAE celebrates National Day – love. Have a good Tues! Jess x